Friday 8 June 2007

Moving at last!

Tyseley is moving again! We left Badsey's this morning, at a leisurely 10am, having been warned that the Admiral Nelson would be full at lunchtime, and there would be little chance of getting a mooring until things had settled down in the afternoon. It took us just over three hours, so I was a bit concerned that we would find it still full as we approached at just past 1pm. But there was only a single, solitary narrow boat tied up below the lock. I have never seen it this empty. I hope it isn't an indication of the audience to come...

Last night, though, would make up for just about anything that happens tonight. We had a packed audience, and the weather, although it turned cold later on, was glorious. The show cracked along, with the support of the crowd, and by the end, we were all in high spirits. It's another example of the joys of this job. And being able to talk to the audience and share those feelings just makes it all the more worthwhile. After the show we said goodbye to the van as it was driven off to Reading by the Wicks, friends who have very kindly agreed to help out with the logistical nightmare that is co-ordinating a van with a boat tour. Thank goodness for Friends of Mikron....

Another fine thing to come out of last night was interest in the plans to repaint Tyseley, which is rapidly becoming my bonnet's current resident bee.

The boating today went very well - considering it was our first proper day out. Everyone had a go on the back. Ruth remembered everything from last year, and didn't seem to have been away from boats for over 6 months at all. Anna and Adrian are both taking to it like ducks to the proverbial. I was the only one to provide any real entertainment. But to be fair, it WAS our bridgehole by a long chalk! We also had our first run in with hire boaters who wanted to fill the empty half of a lock because they were on that side, rather than let us come up it while they used the almost full one on the offside. Oh well...

I have to admit that I had a fantastic time doing the bends, though. It's great to be back on the back of Tyseley again. She is a law unto herself, but I hope that I am starting to understand her... I think it will take a few more years yet. Well - I just have to keep learning. It's always the case with her that just when you think you have sorted out how to handle her in a certain situation, she will go and do something completely unexpected. Much like people, I suppose. We opened her right up on a couple of stretches to blow the cobwebs out. And judging by the exhaust, I think there were several in there. But she seems to be running well, and in good spirits. I hope.

And I have caught the sun. Even though it was cloudy. I will never learn.

No comments: